Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Living Ironically and Crushing it.

Even though I live in a relatively small town, I have been seeing

more and more folks around town dressed in what I am assuming is considered the "hipster" mode of fashion with their alternative fashion styles that profess to not conform to mainstream commercial fashion.
The deck where I sip my morning coffee and contemplate life.

What they may not consider is that the generation living in the 70s already did that. Its hard to say how much they really know about the "Beat Generation" to which the 60's and 70's owe much of their angst. At the very least, they might want to thank their grandmas and grandpas for the fringed boots and campy clothes they are copying. Its the hippy look without the sit-ins, protest marches, or police harassment. I was pretty enamored of the hippy culture too back in the day, but I was a little too young to go to Woodstock and my mother forbade me to go to a  protest (and I listened) so maybe I'm just resentful or jealous. But the whole "hipster" thing seems a little contrived.

At any rate, I think that even as a 59-something woman, I am pretty independent and don't go along with the mainstream, especially when it comes to fashion. I think that came with growing up in the era that I did, along with a mom who definitely was not a crowd-follower. So this is why even though I came by my "hipster" vibes naturally. Got an opinion on this? Let me know. I'd love to hear from you.


No comments:

Post a Comment