Monday, August 5, 2013

Ten Reasons to be glad Summer is over:

Muskegon Channel


Ten Reasons to be glad summer is over:
I know. I know. Who would want summer to end? Swimming at the beach, barbeques with family. I must be crazy. But here are a few things that may make you look forward to the autumn. 

Summer being over means:


1.      No more mosquitoes, which means no more covering yourself with DEET..
2.      Kids are going back to school.  (Did I hear a few groans?) Mine are grown, so I do miss the exhilarating feeling of sending them off that first day of school but I’m sure they would beg to differ on that subject.
3.      You can turn the air conditioner off (and save money).
4.      You don’t have to cut the grass.  (Its a break before the snow).
5.      You don’t have to clean the pool. (Of course soon you will have to get it ready for winter, so that’s a toss-up)
6.      No more wet, soggy, sandy towels and swimsuits hanging in the bathroom. (See number 5).
7.      Hopefully the end of summer house chores like deck painting, window scrubbing, etc.
8.      Not getting sunburn. Or in my case, age-spots and freckles.
9.      Pulling weeds out of the garden and flower beds.
10.  Did I mention no more mosquitoes?
Farm fresh veggies. Yum!

Yes those of us with children and teens appreciate it when the school bell rings back. Soon the leaves will turn and while it may be a little early to put away your lawnmower, one thing is for certain, autumn will soon be upon us.  While I like summer, it doesn’t compare to fall in color and atmosphere. There no season more picturesque and inviting in Michigan than autumn. The sun is low in the sky and almost seems to illuminate the orange and yellow leaves. The air gets crisp and invigorating. One of my favorite things is to go for a color ride, usually into Oceana County, stopping on the way to pick up some fresh produce for the pantry. Crisp apples, juicy pears, blueberries, sweet corn, peppers, herbs to spice up things are just a few of the harvest treasures to be had for the picking. And cherries! I am getting my pie crust ready! 

I hope you enjoyed my tongue-in-cheek list. Don’t agree? Let me know.


For where to go to get fresh fruits and veggies right from the farm, go to PickYourOwn.org



No comments:

Post a Comment