Friday, January 20, 2017

I will still make art....no matter what



Over the past few months, my inspiration has taken a hit. It is difficult to feel creative when you are fearful. Fear mobilizes use, makes us want to shut down and shut out what we fear. But I have decided that I will not let fear consume me, nor hate, nor apathy. I will continue to make art, and continue to strive to be a person who stands up for others and stand up for the freedoms this country stands for. It may be a small thing to make art to some but freedom of our imaginations as well as the freedom to express in our own way is deeply embedded in our national consciousness, and is supported by the First Amendment. Our free society is based on the principles that each and every individual has the right to decide what art they wish to have or create. Once the government censors this, or has the power to censure us from enjoying it, then ours is not a democracy. The freedom to express for ourselves also requires us to promote and stand up for the freedom of expression for others. It is at the very heart of our democracy. So I will stand up for freedom of expression and I will make art.

Here are some great links for further information and for information about freedom of expression in the arts and freedom in general: visit the official ACLU. site.  

2 comments:

  1. Well said, Marie!! It does take some determination to stick with your heart honest expression in art, saying whatever needs to be said. That is what keeps us free, someone has to push against the barriers, so good that you do that. I should push more against them, I am rather exhausted from the art efforts over the years... never exactly turned out like I thought, but at least I had people reject my art so I felt vindicated. Must be on the right track when it is censored.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mike for your supportive words and thank you for visiting my blog!

      Delete